Monday, October 26, 2015

A Sweet Heart: The Flavor of Realness


What if the blink of an eye was worth 75 years?  What would you want to hold onto before your next blink?  Would it be something tangible or would it be the untouchable thrill of success?  Respect, maybe?

As I continue to awaken and my age grows, my memories have much greater value.  Memories of what I once deemed as “the best of times,” lose their significance when the other people involved no longer share the bridge of communication when times get real.  Na mean?  So, if I had one blink left, I would hold onto a friendship cultivated in a garage that was converted into a candy store.

You see, a lot like the rhythm of a haiku, a union between two people can be ambiguous to the casual observer, however, within what may appear to be an unorthodox union, every syllable or action has a profound significance that can only be felt by those privy to its intended meaning.

Rochelle was a teenage girl on a mission.  She calculated, packaged and distributed licorice whips, Now & Laters, and Charms lollipops in the truest entrepreneurial fashion.  As a frequent customer of her establishment, I embraced my addiction to the edible sweets displayed on a foldout table, acting as a service counter.  But it was her sweet heart that compelled an adolescent Mann to remain long after our $.75 transaction had been finalized.

Her place of business gave me a reason to share her space.  At times her older brothers would chase or literally carry me out of her store.  To no avail, I always came back more determined than before.  It just felt right being around her.  There were levels to our friendship and I made the early efforts to keep climbing.  Then somehow, I became the person that no longer shared the bridge of communication.  SMH.

Decades later, the sweetness of that diligent teenage Sista continues to feed my addiction.  Jolly Ranchers, Hershey’s Kisses and Hot Chocolate are merely metaphorical attributes of the rush Rochelle infuses into my existence. The taste of our reconnection makes me a better Mann, indeed.  And her sweetness will not permit me to stop blinking.  Feel me?

Chelle, I am humbled by the reconstruction of the bridge that brings me closer to you, the proprietess of my fix.  To many, our friendship is a haiku that frustrates more than it teaches.  Their fog surrounds us but the expression of our friendship is crystal clear to me and your extended hand is met with the most sincere gesture of gratitude.  With every blink that remains, your life will always be the unforgettable sweetness that made my existence taste-worthy.

 
Much love to you on your special day.

Happy Born Day, Ma!!

US,

Lump
NP 4Life
Copyright © 2015 by Leroy Elwood Mann


6 comments:

  1. Lump really seems to love you Rochelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story, I could just picture young Leroy standing there buying candy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Rochelle. Leroy hasn't posted much this year. I wonder is he okay? No basketball. I understand he has retired from that. But he used to post a lot more. And showcasting other people. Oh well I suppose it all changes. Best wishes Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Denise, Leroy is absolutely fine and he is writing more than ever. What has changed is my life. I have been challenged to edit his writing and get it uploaded on a weekly basis. With the challenges I have in my life right now, it is difficult to manage the site with the love and care that I have in the past. I'm hoping 2016 will be better. Stay tuned.

      Delete
    2. Thx Rochelle. It's easy to tell the love & care you've been putting into this site. Hope the changes in your life are good ones. Seeya Denise

      Delete
  4. Hey Leroy, looking forward to seeing your next writing. You are just so talented!!

    ReplyDelete