Sunday, September 20, 2015

Year 7: Keeping Close To the Roots


"You can't understand most of the important things from a distance. You have to get close."
Just Mercy

Hotep,

Last month, I received a scribe from my son where he genuinely inquired about the status of my case, and my necessity for reading material.  

To some, this may be nothing more than a routine gesture, but to someone whose physical presence has been eclipsed by the dark shadows of reproof, closing the gap within familial proximity quells any urge to "throw in the towel." Feel me?

On 8/17/2015, I performed a spoken word piece (Judicial Pantomime Disjoints Society From the Real) before an audience, which seated one of the top legal minds in the United States, Mr. Bryan Stevenson. 

He is the founder of the Equal Justice Initiative and he personally autographed my copy of his New York Times Bestseller, "Just Mercy," a story of justice and redemption. 

A man who has been referred to as "America's Mandela" has his eyes on my case.  I would like to think this degree of progression should pretty much cover my son's concerns. "Keeping Close" cultivates my will to prevail. So, I thank you for showering your roots with a Mann's love, my son. 

From what I have seen and read, my son is one hell of a dad. I love that about him, and I adore his beautiful offspring. My oldest grand seed, "Deuce," is already donning football pads as he embarks on his 7th year in this realm of living. 

Wow! I mean, I can look at pics of "Deuce" and live through his experience of being a Lil' Mann. Who said a man ain't suppose to cry? SMH.

This is why I fight to stay alive.  This is why my next breath is always filled with hope. This is why I can shed a tear without losing a shred of virility. My grandson, Daveante E. Mann, Jr., is the fruit from a tree that stands tall and digs deep. 

Our tree is rooted in moxy, and bears branches bold enough to exude beauty without a hint of decoration or gimmick. We are who we are, Lil Mann. 

We fight. We love. We grow. And, most importantly, we keep on keepin when the popular opinion calls for us to resign. Ya heard?  Your born day is an anniversary for you and your mother to always share, but the roots of your family tree 'keeps you close' by celebrating your mere presence above the surface.  

Deuce, you perpetuate everything good that comes with being a Mann. Happy birthday!! I love you Lil' Mann. 

Still Livin,
G-Dad

#MannLegacy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for heart and spirit Leroy! You always inspire me:)

    ReplyDelete