Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Eye Opener



Hotep,

Look at me.  What do you see?  Am I the ugliness within the calamity that surrounds me, or the bitter pill a stranger swallows at the mere mention of my name?  I can’t make people like me.  I don’t have the Divine authority to tell them what they should believe – concerning my walk through this realm.  I only ask that you look at life through my eyes.  Scope the scene of life from the horizon of death.

Working for American Airlines made meeting celebrities an every day habit.  After a while, unless someone announces Halle Berry’s presence on the concourse, or Muhammad Ali is performing magic tricks at the baggage claim, it was just another day of coordinating the luggage of complete strangers – in route to business trips and family vacations. 

I often wondered how they viewed the Mann handling their baggage.  Seeing some of these complete strangers’ faces within the small windows of the plane encouraged me to view the same surroundings through their eyes.  This exercise may seem weird at first, but I can assure you that you will learn something new about yourself.  Here’s an example of how this works:

The death row housing unit hosts tour groups regularly.  Seeing these tour groups from a distance makes it difficult for me to interpret the tour guide’s (C.O.) instructions on viewing my presence.  This is when I go into American Airlines mode. 

Stepping into the existence of the tourist, I can hear the corrections officer explaining the unit 3 habitats.  His horrific accounts of crimes and convictions come off as precautionary tales to the ill informed.  But in reality, it is no more than a self-serving need of injecting zest into an uneventful 12-hour shift.

As the tourist, I begin to look around this “pristine” $20 million facility – only to wonder why these “monsters” have it so good.  Through my own eyes, I see this same tourist as the potential for change.  I see family life.  I can clearly see the strides for a better way of living, and everything that makes this existence worth appreciating.

The tourist within me begins to ask questions like: When was the last execution?  Why do they move about so freely?  How often do they attack staff members?  Looking through the eyes of the tourist I can see my guide beginning to sweat, and stutter over his words.  None of his answers support the grisly biographies of moments past.  I would then be inclined to question why I was instructed not to make eye contact with these monstrosities underserving of humane interactions.

Then the inevitable happens; California vegetable soup, Dial deodorant, Colgate toothpaste, and Lever – 2000 soap; all items that might be on my own grocery-shopping list.  This is me making this simple canteen purchase.  I see myself greeting staff members without the slightest hint of a grudge.  I’m in awe of the fact we are so much alike. 

That is when I realize I’ve broken the cardinal rule; I am making direct eye contact with myself.  I see a person dealing with a gruesome circumstance, and I just can’t turn away.  I don’t know what to say to the “monster” that no longer exists.  Instead, I ask myself, “What does he think of me?”

My tour group walks past this person draped in a red jumpsuit, as he gathers his purchased belongings.  Looking in my direction, he greets the entire group, “Good morning, People.” Not only I, but also the entire group responded accordingly, “Good morning.”

Obviously the tour guide did not prep us for humanity in such an environment, yet all of us felt a human vibe at that very moment – orchestrated by someone deemed as a “monster.”

Look at me now.  See yourself within my humanity.  It’s a birthright to anyone touring this existence.

Much Love,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment