Monday, September 1, 2014

Voices from the Row: Reflection of a TurnKey - Is this you?


Hotep,

Living within the confines of a penitentiary setting, it is commonplace for the structure of this environment to bend human compassion – forming a drone validated by the cage in which it stands.  A recent conversation with my man Chino led to this upcoming expression of genuine reflection.

The profoundness of our ongoing discussions is a credit to our will to survive the psychological antics of confinement’s key holder, “The Turnkey.”  The cage is an assembly line for the production of drones, but becoming a drone is not exclusive to the inhabitants forced to live inside the cage. 

Some drones possess an illusion of authority because they are assigned to turn a key, which opens and closes the cage’s door.  This type of drone is programmed to despise and distrust the prisoner on sight.

Live and learn, blogosphere, as Chino holds up the mirror of truth.  The following reflection may be someone you know.

Always 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann
-----------------------------------------

Reflection of a TurnKey: Is this you?

Today I stepped into the chow hall and amongst the normal humdrum of mindless chatter and swirling flies, I picked up on a spirit of hate wadding in the air.  It’s source, Mr. Turnkey, no surprise there for it’s actually the norm.  

On this particular day, however the hatred was up a notch, so much so, that I felt compelled to ask the question, why do they (Mr. & Mrs. Turnkey) hate us (prisoners) so much?  I’d like to take up a few of your minutes to share my reflection on this matter.  In doing so I hope to bring about a deeper awareness and self-evaluation.

Why does Mr. Turnkey hate me so?  Surely it can’t be because of my digs: I reside in a bathroom that’s furnished with a bunk and shelves.  Virtually everything I own is on loan!  My gear is a joke; my ‘whip’ consists of an AM/FM radio.  Did I mention the plush manicured concrete and dirt that make up the grounds of my apartment complex?  It’s to die for! 

Well, perhaps it’s my person?  I’m no slouch, and Moms and Pops did their thing for sure.  But, Mr. Turnkey doesn’t even know me, I’m a stranger to most of them and familiarity in the ‘box’ is still formal: last names only, no personal info, exchanging ‘us’ and ‘y’all’ i.e. officers and prisoners.  Hold on, am I accused of murdering /robbing a member of their family?  No, I’ve checked.  So, what’s the reason you hate me so?

A friend of mine once said that what we’re dealing with there is the old, field and porch psychology, and I couldn’t agree more.  Based on the disposition of Mr. Turnkey it’s clear that I (the prisoner) have been made into the whipping boy for all of your insecurities, failings and life circumstances. 

Outside of these prison walls you’re a loser without a real life.  Why else would you hate it when a condemned man receives a little sympathy or kind words from a female co-worker of yours?  Why else would you oppress, suppress and pride yourself on having me do without and to suffer?  

Ask yourself Mr. Turnkey.  What’s interesting is that you and I know what it’d be if I wasn’t in your daddy’s box!  Your power is an illusion that begs the question of what would you be without brothers liked me? 

I’m reminded of the drunken diatribe of Mr. Al Pacino in the gangster classic ‘Scarface’ in which, as the character of Tony Montana, he explains to a crowd of astonished onlookers how the name on the bottom; the object at the end of the self-righteous pointing finger, is needed in order for them to give their lives worth.  He ends with the acknowledgement of “say goodnight to the bad guy…”

Mr. Turnkey, it’s not really me you hate, rather it’s yourself that’s got your face twisted.  I, along with other brothas of my ilk am the mirror you face when you come to work.  Instead of hating the mirror, how about you tackle the reality it’s reflecting of you.  Perhaps you then will acquire a life!  When you have a life, you’ve no time to hate on another’s.

Alive and Strong


Chino
Copyright © 2014 by Chino

No comments:

Post a Comment