Sunday, September 21, 2014

MANNKIND: 6 reasons to love my Lil’ Mann


Hotep,

Any legacy worth acknowledging should possess intrigue-worthy events, which offer lessons within their message.  This is my reason behind writing the memoir, “Mannkind: A conversation with Deuce.” 

The content of this particular work is a history lesson of my miseducation, deception and philandering.  All from the perspective of a G-dad having a conversation with his only grandson.  Why, you might ask?  Well, I feel it is important for me to share some of the potholes within the path of our legacy, The Mann legacy.

All too often our elders mislead us with the best part of the story, or the inevitable happy ending.  My beginnings do not parallel a story of a young prince inheriting a vast land with the world at his feet.  

My present is not the all-American tale of the big house, white picket fence, and all of my days filled with more happiness than I know how to express.  The life of this Mann does not possess the elements of a fairytale.  However, you are the beginning of my happy ending, Deuce.

The furtherance of my ancestry comes in the form of a 6 year old, beautiful, Cali-bred little boy.  Deuce is my first grandseed.  It is no coincidence these words came together on the second anniversary of his baby sister’s nativity (7/20).  I love my bloodline.  It is rich with creativity and the surefire spirit of go-getters.  Word is bond!

Some parents/grandparents may wait far too long to tell their offspring why they adore their very existence.  Others may never get the chance to do so.  Here and now, I can proudly say: I don’t qualify as either.  Son of my son; in celebration of your 6th year, here are 6 reasons why I love the mere thought of you:

 1. Your dad is the flesh of my flesh, and I love him dearly.  I’m so proud of the father, husband and Mann he has become.  He is a part of me that brought you into existence, which brings a very high value of meaning into my own.

2. At my loneliest moments, I can lean on the reality of caring for someone that promotes my being by waking up and just being a Mann.

3. People come…and people go…but our union resonates a loyalty worth the separation we currently endure.  When the long-awaited day comes for the two of us to immerse ourselves in a familial embrace, these words will be prophetic.

4. The final three months of 2008 was an upbeat experience that started with your birth.  September 24th preceded the historical change of command, most people my age or older, in this country, did not think they would live to see. I believe in being born with a purpose.  I do not believe in coincidence.  Feel me?

5. The charisma of a Lil’ Mann.  Nothing short of hereditary. Ya heard?

6. You are the seed of a Mann.  My blood.  My heart. My future.

These words may be beyond your understanding, for now.  Nonetheless, you will always know that your G-dad may have been forced to love you from afar, but the distance made me love you no less.  You are the embodiment of everything good about being a Mann.  Happy Birthday, Son of my Son!!

Much Love,

G-dad
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment