Thursday, March 27, 2014

Poetry Slam Volume 2: Cemetery in the Flesh


Hotep,

You never know what’s on a man’s mind.  Oft times, public perception can contribute to the malfunction of what it means to “Man up.” For me, “Man up” can best be defined as facing your fears and acknowledging your flaws.  Poetry can be the antidote.  The writers of the row reached a growth spurt on 9/25/2013.  Our poetry slam was undeniably, “Slammin!” Ya heard?

Big Bank is the consummate “Glue-guy” of the row.  He wears the hats of spiritual adviser, civics analyst, lyricist and death row b-ball referee.  And let me say; he’s well spoken in all of the above.  Word is bond!!

I instinctively selected Big Bank to follow-up my recital of “Where Would I Be,” because there’s fire in his pen.  I had no doubts that he’d keep the poetic momentum going.  As a first time guest, on this W2TM platform, I ask that you push public perception aside and feel the truth as it was felt during our poetry slam.  Aight?

From this moment, you’re now in the space of the man the row knows as Big Bank.  The stage is yours, Dunn.

Always 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

------------------------------------------------------


Cemetery in the Flesh












They say a coward dies a million times
Well I guess I’ve died a million one
You see, every time my spirit dies from fear
It’s just like killing one

Scared of what other people might think
Being afraid they might laugh or berate
Made me hide the truth inside
Wanting to be something I can’t

Trying to be things that I ain’t
Living lies ashamed of my fate
So every time my spirit would rise
I’d kill it cause it was me that I hate

But this is murder nonetheless
Now I’m a Cemetery in the Flesh…

Big Bank
Copyright © 2013 by Michael Braxton



No comments:

Post a Comment